Florida Government Online
...a division of
Government Online Services Corp.
History and Culture
Florida Government Online offers an excellent listing of resources about history and culture in the Sunshine State. Whether you're looking for information about art and history development, are interested in a list of upcoming events, or want to visit a war memorial, we can help.
Our extensive selection of resources for Florida's history and culture allows you to find out about many historical and cultural resources in the state of Florida. Whether you're interested in biographies and life histories or fossils and geological history, our resources will help you find the information you need as quickly as possible.
- Archaeology - The Bureau of Archaeological Research works with state agencies and local communities to manage, preserve, and interpret Florida's irreplaceable archaeological sites for citizens and visitors.
- Art and History Development - Learn more about art and history development from the Office of Cultural and Historical Programs.
- Biographies - The Biography Index contains references to biographical information on notable Floridians in the books, periodicals, vertical files, newspapers and maps of the Florida Collection.
- Courthouses, Historic - View a list of beautiful, historic courthouses in Florida.
- Cultural Affairs, Division of - The mission of the Division of Cultural Affairs is to guide and facilitate cultural development and services for Florida citizens and visitors through public/private partnerships.
- Events - View statewide events such as theatre, activities for children, music, and sports by category.
- Facts and History - Learn Florida facts, such as state symbols, and read about Florida history, such as the civil war and prehistoric native people.
- Folklife Program - The Florida Folklife Program, a component of the Florida Department of State's Division of Historical Resources, documents and presents the folklife, folklore, and folk arts of the state.
- Fossils - Learn about fossils in Florida.
- Geologic History - Florida's geologic history begins deep beneath its surface where ancient rocks indicate that Florida was once a part of northwest Africa.
- Historic Places - Use a map to find a list of historic sites by county.
- Historic Preservation, Bureau of - Learn about architectural preservation services, statewide education and folklife programs, and grants services.
- History - Learn about historical topics in Florida such as archaeology, African American history, the Civil War, historic buildings and sites, and Native Americans.
- History & Antiquities - Learn about a variety of topics related to Florida's history, with links to other resources for more information.
- History, Facts and - Read portraits and biographies of Florida Governors and a history of Seminole leaders and Seminole wars.
- History, Museum of Florida - The Museum collects, preserves, exhibits, and interprets evidence of past and present cultures in Florida, and promotes knowledge and appreciation of this heritage.
- Land Protection - Learn how private landowners can protect cultural resources in their ownership.
- Life Histories - View titles of mostly first-person accounts of life in Florida collected during the Great Depression.
- Memory Project - The Florida Memory Project provides a web-based structure for primary records that illustrates significant moments in the state's history, provides educational resources for students of all ages, and makes available collections for historical research.
- Museums - Use this site to locate museums by interest or geographic area.
- Photographic Collection - The Florida Photographic Collection is a nationally recognized component of the State Archives of Florida and contains more than 850,000 photographs and approximately 2,500 movies and video tapes.
- Rosewood - Find sources identified by the State Library staff which are helpful in answering requests for information about the destruction of Rosewood, Florida.
- Transportation History - Take a tour of Florida's past through transportation-related photographs.
- War Memorials - View a list of war memorials from the Florida Department of Veterans' Affairs.